The two terms Restoration and Mitigation create a lot of confusion as they are both ideals in Damage Restoration Services.
However, one serves as a term for immediate action, while the other is for an after the reaction.
But since both are ways of dealing with water damage, it is essential to differentiate them accurately to avoid confusion.
Differentiating these two words is also essential when considering hiring professional services.
Most companies that deal with water damage restoration hire both water mitigation professionals and water damage restoration professionals.
Mitigation in itself, according to the Oxford dictionary, is “the action of reducing the severity, seriousness or painfulness of something.” Therefore water mitigation is the whole first reaction process of cleaning up the water and the damaged area.
Water Mitigation professionals use specialized equipment such as dehumidifiers, air scrubbers, moisture meters, and air movers to remove all moisture from the building properly.
These professionals are also first in response to cases of water damage crisis because their services are crucial in managing the damage extent.
The process involves:
- Locating the source of water if the damage is still occurring.
- Ensuring safety by making sure all dangers such as electrical hazards and weak ceilings are taken care of or minimized.
- Using water extractors with high volume density to clear water from the house
- Taking out all items and materials from the home that soak up water such as mattresses and couches.
- Bringing in dehumidifiers to help prevent secondary damage that may be caused by water vapor
- Protecting the house from further damage by installing taps in the roofs and boarding up doors and windows.
Restoration according to the Oxford dictionary is “the action of returning something to a former owner, place or condition.” Water Restoration is the second step taken after cleaning up the water damage. It means reinstating the house to its original condition.
Water Damage Restorers repair and replace damaged structures and also test to confirm that all moisture and other water damage issues are fixed.
These professionals respond after the immediate damage and danger has been sorted.
The process involves:
- Replacing permanently damaged items such as soaked floorings and walls that cannot be effectively repaired.
- The second is the restoration of damaged structures such as the roof.
- The third is the use of moisture detecting technology to locate and eliminate residual moisture in hidden places and wall cavities.
- Applying techniques that prevent molds throughout the house, which also means doing follow up checks to ensure that the house doesn’t have bacteria.
- To ensure that established industry standards for full drying of the house are met through testing to confirm.
Water damage restoration services are essential to all structures that have at one time experienced water destruction.
As many significant companies hire both water mitigation and water damage restoration professionals, it is proper to note that water mitigators respond first to a crisis call followed by water damage restorers.
Their areas of work are very different but will ensure that a building is restored to its original habitable condition.
The CleanUP Guys
6650 N Damen Avenue
Chicago Illinois 60645