BLOG

Mold Removal Wilmette IL

Mold Removal Wilmette IL

Mold overgrowth is a serious hazard that can lead to a variety of debilitating health conditions. Many types of mold spores are toxic. You may not even realize that you have been exposed to mold. It is often hidden behind walls and floor coverings. The best thing you can do is to identify the mold source, if you suspect you are experiencing poor health due to its presence. The next step is to remediate with mold removal Wilmette IL and treat the symptoms within your body.

Symptoms of Exposure or Sensitivity to Mold

Prolonged exposure to mold can cause sickness or an allergic reaction, especially if mold spores have entered your sinuses and lungs. It may also be problematic if it is present on your skin. Your symptoms might include:

  • Fatigue

  • Feeling generally unwell as though you have the flu

  • Inability to concentrate or think clearly

  • Dizziness

  • Chronic colds

  • Sore throat

  • Asthma

  • Sinusitis

  • Bronchitis or a persistent cough

  • Headaches

  • Rashes

Identifying Toxic Mold

Toxic mold generally grows in the presence of moisture. Start looking for mold in areas where moisture is present, such as bathrooms, kitchens, washing machines, basements, and crawl spaces. You can see black and green mold growing around toilets and sinks, or on shower curtains, and on exposed surfaces in unfinished areas below grade. It is likely that you will smell mold if there is a good amount of it present. If you can see the mold, your chances of being able to get rid of it are good.
Mold can hide and flourish within wall cavities, on ceiling tiles, and under floor coverings. If you suspect hidden mold, it is best to hire a licensed inspector trained in the remediation of bio-hazards. An inspector will look for leaks and moisture behind surfaces with special detection equipment. He or she will also check your HVAC system, especially ductwork, for moisture and mold growth.

Dealing with Surface Mold

While removal of hidden mold is a big and potentially costly endeavor, it is best dealt with by a remediation specialist. You can do a number of things to deal with the mold that you can see and/or smell on your own.
The first thing you should consider is ventilating the space that has mold. You might also consider installing a dehumidifier if moisture is unavoidable. You will then want all of the surfaces that have mold dealt with immediately.
You can clean with bleach and other chemical products, but this method comes with a whole new set of health hazards. I recommend using a professional mold removal Wilmette IL company to deal with the problem.